Monday, April 13, 2009

I need more of a life...or at least a hobby

I recently went to a tweetup. A tweetup is where people who have connected over twitter get together to meet in person and have some fun. I'm naturally shy so even going was tough for me. My hubby told me after that he was shocked I went, he had expected me to find a reason to wimp out because he knows how tough it was for me. It was a tiny triumph for me. I meet some awesome people. The group was full of interesting and fun people that I love to get to know better.

Throughout the experience, people would ask me what I do. I'd say I'm a Mom. I know in some circles this is a reason to blow me off automatically. I got the impression that a few may have done just that. Hey, it happens. I don't agree, but I understand. One asked me a question that went deep into me and made me think. He asked, so when your not busy being a mom, what do you do? Wow! I know being a Mom is a 24/7, 365 day a year job, no doubt. I do have some free time now. I have a few hours, a few days a week, where everyone is in school. It's my time. I've been wasting it. I have been sleeping it away, or cleaning it away. What a waste.

I've always loved photography. I used to be on the school newspaper in high school. I loved taking photos. I worked at Kiddie Kandids as a photographer. I loved that job. I have a nice digital camera. I've started taking it with me everywhere I go. I'm trying to pull it out and capture the people in my life I love. To capture the beauty around me. As much as I get frustrated with the Utah culture now and then, it is such a pretty place. I want to use my free time recapture my love of photography. I may even start sharing those on here.

Like the title of this says I need a life. I need to find myself again. To find what I am when I'm not being a Mom. I've lost myself a little in the Mommyverse. My kids are growing and as they do, it leaves me open to do some personal growth too. I'm going to try and use my time to find my life, some hobbies, and maybe some friends along the way.

3 comments:

Erica said...

A tweetup sounds fun I probably would have wimped out unless my husband came along with me, he is the social one. Anyway I found your blog on twitter and look forward to following you. I hope you will stop by and check out my blogs. Also I am doing my first giveaway.

http://ehaggins.blogspot.com/

http://myfirst5k-erica.blogspot.com/

LayZ Daisy said...

It sounds like to me you have a hobby, Photography. There is so much more you can do with this and even sell your photos and make a little money.

Pamela Jacob said...

Well I must tell you just enjoy your kids while they are around before you know it they will be out of the nest - and you will yearn for those days.

I have a thriving business - and it cannot compare to being a mom!

Being a mom is the most full filling job in the world!!