Friday, March 27, 2009

6 months later

It's been six months since I started this blog. I ran into some road blocks. The first was some awful sleeping problems, luckily that has now been fixed with some minor nasal surgery. It's hard to feel like getting out and meeting people when the weather is cold and you feel like a walking zombie. I don't want to tempt the fates, but I am hopeful that I can now function like a real human.

I made an attempt to get out there last week. I signed up to volunteer for my daughter's 5th grade class. Normally I don't do this, but someone I admire volunteers religiously at her kids school and loves it. I thought, this might be a great way to meet others Moms. Get this, this actually required that I attend training to help out! Shocking, but true. I got to head down to gateway to attend an hour and half training course. I lucked out and was able to carpool with a few other Moms. I thought this was good because I don't have a stellar sense of direction. Plus, it would be nice to chat on the way down with real live grown-ups that I'm not married to.

There were 4 of us in the car. All were very nice. I tried to be friendly and would join the conversation whenever I could. I enjoyed chatting about what teachers are good and what everyone thinks of the school's current principal (dude needs to get a clue). I even enjoyed talking about polygamy. I have no memory of how we got on that strange subject, but it was interesting since one of the women has a family member, who was raised in a polygamist family. The rest of the subject was pretty much, about the LDS church. Things like who had what calling, who was in what ward, youth activities such as pioneer treck. In the hour round trip drive, they chatted about religious topics (not including polygamy) for about 40 minutes! I am amazed I managed to stay awake through the whole drive. I was so bored.

Are these women so throughly brainwashed that they only think about church, church and more chruch? Is it that so much of thier time and energy goes into church and church callings there is no room for other things? I'm not asking as a put down, but to try and understand. I just don't get it. Do they have hobbies? What about movies, music or tv? I'll be the first to admit, I've been caught up in the mommyverse. I stay home to much, but I still have hobbies. What am I missing about these women?

Ok, so try one seems to be a bust. I'm not done & I'm not giving up. I still have the actual day that I volunteered for in April. It could be fun & I haven't met all the Mom's who are helping. I'm also working to connect with some cool people on twitter and facebook. I know it's not what my hubby calls "face to face" or "real life" friendships. They are nice and I hope maybe there will be a connection that will lead to something more "real."

No comments: